Monday, May 17, 2010

Maintenance

I have a Mugo Pine in my front yard that has gone rogue. To be fair the bush has just done what it is supposed to; grow 8 inches per year in every direction. I however, never took time to maintain the bush and this past weekend was forced into radically pruning the rogue Mugo back into a shape that is appealing to the eye and does not inhibit my sprinkler system nor my ability to put the car in the driveway.

I should have maintained this bush over the past several years but instead I was doing something else and left the bush to its own devices. When I finally paid attention to it, the plant had become unruly and the only way to shape it up was to make some radical changes. The plant looks better but the cuts I had to make were deeper than they would have been if I had just trimmed it every year instead.

Leadership ability requires maintenance to avoid radical reshaping. Don't wait too long for that needed and necessary maintenance.

No comments:

Post a Comment