Monday, August 31, 2009

The Risk of Disagreement

There were times when I wanted to quit and not finish our new book. At first I wanted to quit because the writing was a challenge to me. Then I wanted to quit because I did not have enough time. Then my reason for quitting shifted to the expense of self-publishing. All these are real reasons but the core reason for my hesitancy was that I did not want people to disagree with my views and have that disagreement occur publicly.

I am still a bit nervous about the public aspect of the book but that is a risk I am willing to undertake to get the topic of character inserted into leadership discussions. Becasue leadership is driven from character it is critical that we talk about it in ways that are encouraging not condeming and that are open rather than caustic.

The book will be out tomorrow and I can only hope it will spur a positive dialoge. Join me for that discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment